The adventures of Tyrone in Tokyo and beyond...

Sunday 13 July 2008

A night at the movies

I went to see a movie at the Tokyo International Gay and Lesbian Film Festival tonight. The movie I saw, A Jihad for Love, is a documentary about gay and lesbian Muslims living in countries like Egypt, Iran, India, South Africa and Turkey. Many of those interviewed have fled their home countries for places like Canada, France etc, because of persecution they have suffered or fear they will suffer at home. It was, at times, distressing to watch, not only due to the physical suffering they've been through, but also the mental anguish they go through, trying to reconcile their faith with their sexuality. Very sad and frustrating to see so much pain caused by so much ridiculousness.

After the film I got to speak to the director, and asked him how the film has been received in Muslim countries. He said that it's been shown in two Muslim countries so far, Turkey and another (I can't remember), and so far the reception have been very positive - so that's very encouraging. I doubt however it would ever be shown in countries like Iran or Saudi Arabia, where it most needs to be seen.

Also, in the Q&A after the film, a Japanese guy said that most Japanese people have a hard time understanding why (in this case) gay/lesbian Muslims have this problem with their faith, because "you are a human first and a Muslim second". Why does this faith take precedence over how you are born? The director (himself a gay muslim) said that Islam is a very difficult religion to escape from, as it is a very social religion - your family life is built around the religion, everything you do involves the religion, so if you take it away what's left?

Check out his blog for more, including emails he's had from gay and lesbian Muslims around the world.

All in all a very interesting night. Also it was my first movie I've seen at the cinemas in Japan. The festival continues next weekend, so hopefully I'll see a couple more movies next week.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is really interesting. I will try to get to watch that though it would take a huge effort for me to understand.

And hey, I got a good news, I think I'm going to Istanbul myself soon, so I'll let you know how it's like ;)

--Sup

Anonymous said...

Oh, I saw that at Brissie's queer film festival! -- well, the last part of it anyway, since we unfortunately arrived half an hour late. I'd really like to see the rest of it if I ever came across it cuz it was a great doco. I seem to recall there were people in there who were both muslim and queer and didn't think it was such a conflict, though, yeah? It's just, like usual (with religion sometimes and in other cases too), the narrow-minded conservative types causing all the problems.

Tyrone said...

But if it was just between God and that person, then it wouldn't be such an issue (although still abhorent that God would create them with a natural attraction to their own sex and then make it a sin). Instead, the Iranian government (along with other governments around the world), possibly fearing God would not do his job, intervene, and carry out their own punishment.

So yes, I can and will attack a country for killing its citizens for doing what they know to be natural.