The adventures of Tyrone in Tokyo and beyond...

Monday 30 July 2007

It's the little things...

It's the little things that can make you really appreciate living in a new country. Like the fact that everyone in Japan is tiny, making size 28 jeans incredibly easy to find (unlike in Australia, where they are an incredibly rare beast). Since I've gotten over the shock of paying two months' rent from the one pay cheque (the joy of moving), I decided it was time for new jeans. And I know I should use this blog to discuss politics, literature etc, but seriously, these jeans fit like they were made for me (apart from the legs, which they hemmed for me while I waited - you just don't get that type of service in Aus!). So I present: jeans. (Notice in the corner of the photo you can see a bed. A real bed. No more futon! Joy of joys!)


Also, my hair changed colour. Work seem to be okay with it. Huzzah!



On Thursday I had my first 2nd day of a weekend in a long time, and so went indoor climbing with my new (Kettle-)housemate Jasmine and her friend Rachel. 'Twas fun, I've never been before, and apparently I'm quite monkey-like in my climbing, so I do believe I'll go again. This Thursday in fact.

Not sure who does their advertising, but they should be fired.




Climbing shoes: not sexy.

The start is the hardest part.

Success!!

Not sure exactly what's happening here. I think I got stuck.

Jasmine putting us all to shame - overhangs are so difficult!

This one especially!

I've progressed a bit with my Japanese. I attempted my first kanji characters. Here is my attempt at Happy Birthday.


Also, this notice was left on the noticeboard at work when the typhoon was approaching Tokyo - bless our staff, they try so hard.


Finally, I've decided I'm going to buy a digital piano. I promise to upload my version of Chopsticks in a future entry. You have been warned.

6 comments:

Hewhoblogs said...

The second photo looks like you're delivering the "Alas poor Yorick" soliloquy with a camera placed in Yorick's skull.

Anonymous said...

weren't you guys using a harness for the climbing?!?!

SpacePup said...

Robert - we're hardcore, we don't need harnesses. That, and the highest you could climb was about 5m off the ground. :) Although, jumping down I did hurt my ankle :( This wouldn't have happened if we'd been properly harnessed. I can smell a lawsuit!

Chris - good guess! It just so happens I WAS delivering the "Alas poor Yorick" soliloquy with a camera placed in Yorick's skull!

Nini said...

Piano!! I'm so proud. Although digital I must protest, though I know it futility. Not being able to fit a proper size piano in such a small country :P

Donna said...

Chopsticks as performed by Ty- I shall be waiting for it :-)

New clothes are nice, the jeans look cool.

~xXx~

Sam said...

Shit man I agree with Robert. The survival rates for people falling from 5 metres, even when they land on their feet, is only 50 percent. Don't ask me how I came upon that factoid, because you don't want to know.