The adventures of Tyrone in Tokyo and beyond...

Saturday 3 March 2007

The minute you walked in the joint...

So tonight I went to karaoke with the people from work, for Cheryl's birthday.

I had such a fun time, despite the fact that I had no voice for most of the time. Here when you book a karaoke room all the drinks you want are free (well, the ones from the 3 or 4 page menu they give you) so we kept ordering vodka and ginger beers hehe. I've only known these people for a max of 2 weeks, but tonight it felt like they've been my friends for ages, we had such a great time! There ended up being 9 of us (7 instructors from Aus (2), the US (2), Canada (1) and the UK (2), and 2 Japanese NOVA staff from our branch) in this little karaoke room.

From left: a Japanese staff member who changed branches before I arrived, so I'd never met her before tonight and can't remember her name, Stev'o (UK), Carrie (Aus), Sherman (Canada) and Mayumi (from our branch). Not pictured: Cheryl (US), Sara (US), me and another guy I'd never met from the UK. I should have got more photos but my phone ran out of batteries after these two.


And my tori group - remember back in Brisbane when we went karaoke-ing there were only about 8 or 9 rooms in the whole place? Well walking around this place felt like walking around a mansion - hallways off hallways filled with karaoke rooms!! I think we were in room 41 or something...

Anyway, so by the end of the night, I'd sung to:
Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush (a duet with Stev'o - he's British and a Kate fan!) - but my voice lost it's higher registers, so I had to sing it low - felt so wrong, or like I was in that British Ukulele Choir that covered that song! Next time I will have my voice back and will be able to sing it properly!! but I was still able to do the "waving" she does at the end of the filmclip heehee)
Karma Police - Radiohead
Closer - Nine Inch Nails (with Sara and Carrie)- lol everyone else was a bit shocked at the lyrics.
Bizarre Love Triangle - New Order
Big Spender - Shirley Bassey (duet with Sara)
Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics (group song)
Ashes to Ashes - David Bowie - this was the last of the songs I chose, and I was able to finish singing it just before racing for my last train

They didn't have any Tori though - not a single song!

Anyway, despite barely having a voice I had an awesome night, we did lots of dancing on the seats to the songs, and shouted our lungs out! I shudder to think what my voice will sound like tomorrow though - and I have 8 lessons to teach!

So there you have it - my first Japanese karaoke experience!

4 comments:

Esonlinji said...

Karaoke in Japan is way better than any karaoke I've been to back in Oz. Also, next time try some lemon chuhai, it's quite good.

Anonymous said...

Oooh we had a going away party for my uncle and his missus last weekend (they're moving to Japan! lol funny that.. although she is Japanese so yeah, you get that) - and we hired this karaoke machine.

TORI WAS ON IT!!!!

Only one song - A Sorta Fairytale ;)
If I'd been less drunk maybe I would've tried it.

SpacePup said...

lemon chuhai - will try it! and yes, I'm not sure whether it was because I was doing it with people I'd only really just met, but i sang so much more than i did in Brisbane!

Aimee - they had 2 tori songs in Brisbane (although one was apparently by Tom Amos :P)... The video for Cornflake Girl was filmed at a fish market - lol yes, cause that song makes me think of fish markets :S

Carrie said...

Hey gorgeous!
Love your karaoke stylings. We gotta do that more often! Loves et x