The adventures of Tyrone in Tokyo and beyond...

Thursday 15 February 2007

Asakusa and Akihabara

Here are some photos from my day trip to Akihabara to buy a battery recharger and to Asakusa.

Akihabara is considered the best place to buy electronics, with many cheap outlet stores.... Well I got there, walked out of the station and was instantly lost. I walked in a few different directions, looking the three different maps I had of the district, but could not work out 1) where the hell I was, and 2) what direction to walk in. My sense of direction is completely thrown here.

So I took some photos, pretty much bought my battery charger at the first store I found, and headed to the train station to go to Asakusa.

A boat putting up the river in Akihabara - I have no idea what river/rivlet this was, but i was lost and it looked cool :)


Asakusa is a very old part of Tokyo, from what I could see there aren't real tourist attractions there, but if you walk around a bit there you see some really old shops and streets. I didn't really know what I was looking for in Asakusa, so just walked around taking photos till late in the afternoon.

an Asakusa street


A kimono shop - some of the kimono's i've seen on sale have been up to 400,000Y (about AU$4000)!


A neat little shopfront in Asakusa


A Torii - these are the gateways to the Shinto shrines. Everytime I see one I think of Tori Amos (Torii Amos?)


A shrine - I think you're supposed to drink or wash yourself in the water, but i was too scared too in case I did something wrong lol


Another shrine, within a shrine - see the little torii out front?


That shrine up close


I think this is a temple? sure looks like one..


Another torii - they sure look impressive



a rather phallic tower in Asakusa - well it was huge! and just kinda by itself, it wasn't part of any other building, just joined by staircases...


Remember Troll dolls? they're back - in troll doll form! a shopfront in Asakusa


Beaker staring at the wax replica's of the meals served by this restaurant - they really don't make the food look appetising! especially soups!


Anyway, I spent an hour walking around Asakusa and Akihabara, trying to find some food that had veges in it, all the while listening to Beaker getting grumpy, before heading home on one of my first rush hour trains. Then I found a place that served exactly what I wanted right under my own station.
yum. sooo good.


and finally.. .when you can't decide between prunes or yoghurt, you no longer have to make the tough decision to just go with one of them. Introducing Prughurt.

No comments: