The adventures of Tyrone in Tokyo and beyond...

Monday 12 February 2007

TYBLOGISAGOODBLOG

There are some experiences in life that you think are never going to happen to you... You've seen your friends go through it, heard that young people all over the globe just like you are doing it, seen that it's really possible, but feel as if you'll never be able to do what they're doing. One day you make the decision - "I'm going to do it". But still, the day seems so far away. As it gets closer, it still doesn't seem real - it doesn't seem like it's really happening... Many thoughts go through your head in the lead-up - "Will I be able to cope?", "Will I be good enough?", "Am I doing the right thing?". You feel as if you've prepared, but you can never truly prepare. Finally, the big day arrives, and while it's exciting, it's not until a few days later that you truly realise what has happened. That realisation occurred for me this morning. I was drinking my tea on the balcony, feeling the cold concrete under my feet, looking out into the morning, when it hit me - I have a blog.

It really is a strange new experience - knowing there are theoretically billions of people across the globe able to read about your life (knowing that realistically, only about 10 will). Will I be able to live up to the expectations of people who've been spoilt with blogs such as MYBLOGISAGOODBLOG, Phlebas Considered and Pappus' plane?

Ultimately I suppose it doesn't really matter - but this blogging business has been stressing me out - I've been thinking I'm really slack, for not keeping everyone updated on every minute of my life. I've still got days where I haven't told everyone what I've done. But I've decided that I'll only blog when I feel like it, and when I want to tell people about my day. You don't want to hear every little mundane thing that happens to me, so I'll only tell you the interesting things, the things that made me laugh, the little realisations I've had.

One such realisation I've had - I'm spreading my vegemite awfully thick on my toast every morning (I know Dave will be happy about this). Could this be the first appearance of the inevitable homesickness? Or could it simply be because each slice of bread is about an inch thick? Only time will tell.

Anyway, today marks my first day of work - orientation (lasting all of 50minutes) followed by on-the-job training (or OJT, as we say in the biz - well, probably many businesses). My train leaves in about 20 minutes, so I suppose I should finish getting ready. I took photos of my apartment yesterday, which I promise I will share tonight! I'm sure you're all shivering in anticipppppppppppation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey do they sell vegemite there or did you take some with you???

(I'm a marmite girl btw... :P lol)

Oh yeah, I love that Tommy Lee Jones is The Boss. If anyone's gonna be The Boss of coffee, it should be him?

SpacePup said...

hahaha, well, he does have a very commanding presence (I'm sure he would in real life, he's commanding enough on the side of a vending machine :P). I certainly felt I needed to buy a coffee.

And I brought two tubes of vegemite with me, as I knew I would miss it. They apparently do sell it here, but it's expensive. It's so strange to have it come out of a tube though lol.

SpacePup said...

oh, and...

Marmite is gross - blegh...

:P