The adventures of Tyrone in Tokyo and beyond...

Saturday 17 February 2007

Gyotoku, and first day at work

I went for a walk to the Gyotoku Post Office today, as I needed to get money from my CBA bank account in Australia and deposit into my Japanese bank account, and it is ridiculously hard to find an ATM that has the Cirrus logo on it (ie, one that will accept international bank cards), and bank teller machines are able to do international withdrawals. Anyway, since I now know where in Ichikawa I live, the map I was given actually came in handy, and I was able to walk there! So I took my camera, as it's always on these little walks that you see some of the most interesting things.

So here's what I saw:

This should give you an idea of the attitude towards smoking in Japan - very relaxed. This cigarette vending machine was on the street.



This was their way of preventing minors from purchasing (see the tiny "no under 20's" label?):


a Japanese petrol station



This shop (for cars apparently) seemed a little seasonal, but it looks like it's like this all year round)


A Japanese park


Apparently the Tokyo air does something strange to the colour of the palm trees :P


I visited a temple! I have one in my neighbourhood - this was the Genshin-hi Temple












This door on one of the walls of the temple grounds reminded me of Alice in Wonderland, with the tiny door (or Willy Wonka). I know the Japanese are supposed to be short, but seriously, they're not this short


And this is a drink they sell in vending machines - yes, it really is called Pocari Sweat... sounds appetising doesn't it :P


but wait till you read the description on the bottle



doesn't it just sound so delicious?

and this was some purple powdery stuff to sprinkle in your food, I have no idea what it was but it was kinda nice in my noodle soup I had below the train station. and I thought it looked pretty.


Anyway, on top of my walk to Gyotoku Post office, today also heralded my first day at work. Yes, training was all over and after 3 days I'm now apparently qualified to teach all ages how to speak English goodly.
Anyway, my first shift went well, my branch is a lot smaller than the Chiba branch I trained at. The two instructors I met were very nice, Carrie is from Newcastle and Steve is from Birmingham in the UK. They were so friendly, and fun to talk to. So i think I'll like working with them.

I had 3 Voice classes and 2 regular classes. So, the Voice sessions are when students come to the Voice Room, they can stay as long as they want between the opening hours of the Voice Room, and just have conversations in English with fellow students and the instructor. I met the Voice regulars at my branch tonight, they were very excited to have a new instructor at the school. They were so friendly as well (this appears to be a common trait amongst all the people I met today, and well, among Japanese people in general, I've found so far), and I really enjoyed chatting with them. Some of them come to Voice quite often (some said up to 6 times a week), and one girl had gotten there at 2:30 today, and was still there when I had my last Voice session at 8pm.

I'm so impressed with their attitude towards learning, all of the students I've met so far (okay, yes, this is only my 4th day of interacting with students) try so hard, and are so apologetic if they get anything wrong. Anyway, it's a lot easier to teach when you're not being looked over (as we were in the training), it's allowed me to loosen up a lot, and just enjoy myself a lot more, while hopefully creating a bit of a more relaxed and friendly atmosphere for the students to learn in.

Thanks so much for sending the blu/coloured-tack Mum! It arrived this afternoon just as I was heading off for work. I've now got photos of everyone stuck around my wall! And I have a decent pillow with a decent pillow case now!!! This is going to be the best night's sleep ever, a world of thanks, Mum!

And I've just gotten into a Melbourne band called Cut Copy, so I know have my soundtrack for the next few weeks - wooh!

Currently listening: Time Stands Still - Cut Copy

10 comments:

Kathy said...

So glad you got the package, babe. Maybe your pillow will entice you to go to bed a tad earlier than usual. NOT!! Hope you had that good night's sleep, babe. Like your new blog place, it's easier to see the photos. Talk to you soon.

David Barry said...

I used to drink Pocari Sweat. I prefer Isostar, but it was a good isotonic drink nonetheless.

SpacePup said...

Glad you like the new blog Mum! I've had a few people say how much they prefer this place :)

Dave, I'm yet to try Pocari Sweat - perhaps one day during the oncoming sure-to-be-hot Tokyo summer...

David Barry said...

And just so it's clear, isotonic drinks are made for when you're exercising, they're not a regular "I'm thirsty so I'll drink something" drink.

Hewhoblogs said...

What life lessons Dave dispenses on blogs!

SpacePup said...

i'm sure it'll come very much in handy during summer though :P

So as far as drinks made to resemble sweat are concerned, you would say it's one of the best? :P

Anonymous said...

One time I got an email with funny Japanese drinks/products and they had this toilet paper called "My Fanny"!

hahahaha...
if you see any of that, be sure to post a photo ;)

SpacePup said...

teehee, haven't seen it yet Aimee, although to be honest I haven't exactly been looking for it :P

Esonlinji said...

Three voice sessions in one day is rough. Most people (me included) at my school complain if they have more than one a day. Right now you have the new guy novelty going, but it'll wear off soon, especially with the regulars.

Anyway, don't let my cynicism scare you.

Anonymous said...

I am loving your "Engrish" pics. The can of "Roots Inspirations" is a little dubious as well.